Receive choice activity or pick activity in WebSphere Process Server
A receive choice activity or pick activity is used for receiving different messages (or operations). This activity is extremely useful if you have an interface with more than one operation and you want this interface as the Interface partner for a business process. If you pass an interface with more than one operation to a normal receive activity it would throw you an error message saying “The process does not implement the operation ‘xxx’ of the port type ‘xxx’”. In this case the only option for us to use the interface is to use receive choice activity. To use a receive activity, follow the below steps.
1. Delete the existing receive activity
2. Drag and drop receive choice activity to your business process. A receive choice activity will be created with one choice in it.
3. Add a new receive by right click on receive choice activity and select ‘Add Receive’.
4. Select the first receive and go to Details tab in your properties window. Select your interface partner, operation and the input parameters. (Change the display name of receive if you want.).
5. Add a reply activity.
6. Repeat these steps for all the operation you have in your interface.
In my case I had two operations in my interface and after configuring receive choice activity my business process look like the one shown below.
If you are getting an error message saying, “The process is not startable. No receive choice or receive activity was found that creates a new process instance and does not have incoming links or preceding basic activities.”, make sure that you have checked the “Create a new process instance if one does not already exist” checkbox in the details tab of Receive choice properties window.