• Entries (RSS)
  • Comments (RSS)

My first two days with Netbeans 6.1 BETA

Posted by | Posted in Netbeans | Posted on 11-10-2008

Tagged Under : ,

For the last two days I am working in Netbeans 6.1 BETA version. I started the development in Eclipse and later I thought it will be better to use Netbeans for GlassFish development because Netbeans has (I think so) has a better integration with GlassFish and JMaki. So I moved to Netbeans. I installed Netbeans 6.1 BETA in my machine few months ago and did not update to final version yet.

I have been working on Eclipse based IDEs for the last couple of years. After using ‘Forte for Java’ for one of my project, long back, this is the first time I am using an IDE other than Eclipse for my development.

Now I am feeling little uncomfortable with Netbeans. The main problem I am facing is the short cut keys. Whenever I need something I will press the short cut key I used in Eclipse and Netbeans would open up some thing else. :-( . Bad luck still I did not find any option to customize the short cut keys same as Eclipse. I strongly feel that Sun should make the entire shortcut key same as Eclipse.

When I manage to solve the short cut keys issues by clicking on different menus to open any window I wanted.I started to get some errors with Netbeans. The first exception I got was

The ResourceConfig instance does not contain any root resource classes.
WebModule[/content]StandardWrapper.Throwable
com.sun.ws.rest.api.container.ContainerException: The ResourceConfig instance does not contain any root resource classes.
        at com.sun.ws.rest.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.processRootResources(WebApplicationImpl.java:404)
        at com.sun.ws.rest.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.initiate(WebApplicationImpl.java:329)
        at com.sun.ws.rest.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.initiate(WebApplicationImpl.java:277)
        at com.sun.ws.rest.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.initiate(ServletContainer.java:333)
        at com.sun.ws.rest.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.init(ServletContainer.java:110)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1178)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:1007)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4808)

And my module did not start up. Anyway it was because Netbeans added some unwanted ServletAdaptor to my web.xml. After removing this new servlet entry from web.xml, again deployment went fine and my module started working. (How Netbeans can add a servlet definition to my web.xml without asking me???. It’s my machine, my project and my web.xml :-) )

No, that was not an end. This time I was getting some other exception

INFO [global]
The module has not been deployed.
[catch] at org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.deployment.devmodules.api.Deployment.deploy(Deployment.java:160)
	at org.netbeans.modules.j2ee.ant.Deploy.execute(Deploy.java:104)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.execute(UnknownElement.java:288)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor41.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.dispatch.DispatchUtils.execute(DispatchUtils.java:105)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Task.perform(Task.java:348)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.Target.execute(Target.java:357)

To solve this issue, I logged in admin console and undeployed the module and then redeployed from Netbeans. Good! again it started working.

Two days two exceptions and waiting for the next one. (May be because my Netbeans is BETA).

Share